Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone actually ever used an automated trading system long term and been profitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone actually ever used an automated trading system long term and been profitable?

Anyone here actually ever used an automated trading system long term and been profitable?

When you build an automated system you are identifying a specific trading pattern that happens more than the noise. This pattern actually disappears as time goes on. It may come back in the future, but the time the pattern is not present is normally when systems start losing money and scrapped. So when you say long-term , probably not over the long haul. The best long term strategy is actually several strategies that are turned on/off as you "the observer" knows better.

Comment

I was used a scalper EA shared on a forex forums. They say this EA was profitable. But after i tried in my real account, i was loss.

Comment

The best trading systems that works are the simplest one.

For example here is one of the best strategy that works since 40 years! Only 3 very simple line!
        - wait 3 red daily candle on S&P500
        - Buy at open
        - TP=900 tick SL=700 tick (this may vary as close at the end of day, ecc..)

S&P500.png

Comment

Originally posted by finanzaonline View Post

For example here is one of the best strategy that works since 40 years! Only 3 very simple line!
          - Buy at open

S&P500.png
          So you finally gave up on SteadyCapture?

Comment

Originally posted by HedgeBitcoin View Post
            When you build an automated system you are identifying a specific trading pattern that happens more than the noise. This pattern actually disappears as time goes on. It may come back in the future, but the time the pattern is not present is normally when systems start losing money and scrapped. So when you say long-term , probably not over the long haul. The best long term strategy is actually several strategies that are turned on/off as you "the observer" knows better.
            Yes, and this is called discretionary trading.
            That is why I believe manual, smart, discerning traders beat automated strategies every time, as long as they keep motivated and refuel when necessary.
            We are the ones that can learn. Once Artificial Intelligence knows how to truly learn... then we better look out. As Elon Musk says, this is something we don't want to mess with.
            And this deals with worldview and ethical issues and morality. we need to guard our life, our world, and our sanity. basically, don't be deceived in your earthly affairs, not even with FX trading.
            it's not a magic ATM machine. You gotta be diligent, measured, and smart.

Comment

OutsideTheBoxHK Correct, AI is the future and still in its early stage. My brother works for an AI startup in Silicon Valley and what I can comprehend is that data is king, however it still comes down to a pattern cognition process of what the developer wants to accomplish. Therefore you must be a good analysis to make AI work with financial markets. BTW, forex is dead, you should trade crypto!

Comment

Originally posted by OutsideTheBoxHK View Post

Yes, and this is called discretionary trading.
                It's not discretionary trading. It's a mechanical rule that professional traders use to pick up the best strategies.
                For example I've made an algo that test all my strategies at the end of the month. It pick up only strategies taht in the last 3 months performed best than the average of the previous 9 months.
                It's not a discretionary rule.
                In this way I put in live for a month only the strategies that are performing better than average.

Comment

Originally posted by IA4Forex View Post

It's not discretionary trading. It's a mechanical rule that professional traders use to pick up the best strategies.
                  For example I've made an algo that test all my strategies at the end of the month. It pick up only strategies taht in the last 3 months performed best than the average of the previous 9 months.
                  It's not a discretionary rule.
                  In this way I put in live for a month only the strategies that are performing better than average.

Right, therefore your strategy doesn't stay exactly the same over time. It is left up to your "DISCRETION" as a good trader.
                  This is the essence of my strategy too. It might slightly change given the market environment and specific factors present at each time.

Comment

- Buy at open

S&P500.png
                    So this is what you trade?

Comment

Originally posted by ForexandCrypto View Post

So this is what you trade?
                      I see many people looking for complex algos while 2 very very simple rules work by 50 years. Just this. There are so few inefficiencies in the market but they work.
                      Don't you agree?

Comment

I see many people looking for complex algos while 2 very very simple rules work by 50 years. Just this. There are so few inefficiencies in the market but they work.
                        Don't you agree?
                        This coming from a guy who defended SteadyCapture religiously... If you were so smart and are trying to give others investment advice, then why did you invest in the disaster called SteadyCapture? Again I ask you, how is that working out for you? ;-)

Comment

I have followed a few EA's on here and while some have been good they eventually failed. I am not saying that there are not good EA's on here, it is just that I have not found one that fails sometime or another. Thankfully I have had the smarts to bail on the strategy before losing all of my gains. I guess changing market conditions will warrant tweaking of EA's to meet current and future market conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by dazz1975 View Post
                            I have followed a few EA's on here and while some have been good they eventually failed. I am not saying that there are not good EA's on here, it is just that I have not found one that fails sometime or another. Thankfully I have had the smarts to bail on the strategy before losing all of my gains. I guess changing market conditions will warrant tweaking of EA's to meet current and future market conditions.
                            There is not a single strategy that works forever and in every market conditions. The only way to be profitable in long term using intraday strategies is to have a decent portfolio of strategies based on different rules and trading different markets. Sooner or later every good strategy goes into a stagnation period. Months, years...it's normal.
                            On the other side in the same period a strategy that works on a different pattern will outperform in that period and viceversa.
                            So the only advice is to have a big portfolio of strategies not correlated each other.

Comment

Originally posted by IA4Forex View Post

There is not a single strategy that works forever and in every market conditions. The only way to be profitable in long term using intraday strategies is to have a decent portfolio of strategies based on different rules and trading different markets. Sooner or later every good strategy goes into a stagnation period. Months, years...it's normal.
                              On the other side in the same period a strategy that works on a different pattern will outperform in that period and viceversa.
                              So the only advice is to have a big portfolio of strategies not correlated each other.
                              That is a no to my original question then

Comment

Working...
                              X