Is this normal slippage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal slippage?

I'm new to Forex Trading and I'm trying to figure if this is a normal thing to be seeing... On a trade as soon as I open, buy or sell I am usually down an average of 15 pips, immediately, sometimes as high as 25 pips. I've confirmed the spread is usually no higher than 4 pips, and I've tested on most pairs with same results. Only trading 0.01 lots for testing purposes... This seems a bit extreme to be that far negative as soon as a trade is opened, is it possible this is slippage of some sort? Broker is LMFX with the premium account type.

What pair and at what time of day?
    Have you tried a limit order too?

Comment

Originally posted by Big River Man View Post
      What pair and at what time of day?
      Have you tried a limit order too?
      I ran some tests with two different brokers and recorded my starting position with the pairs. Oanda shows better results but still don't understand why it would be so high, guess that's just the name of the game?

Broker: LMFX

12/20 10PM EST / 3AM GMT / LOW VOLATILIY
      NZDCHF -51 pips
      NDZCAD -64 pips
      AUDCAD -34 pips
      USDCAD -20 pips
      EURUSD -12 pips
      GBPUSD -20 pips

12/21 at 8:30AM EST / 1:30PM GMT / LONDON-NEW YORK SESSION
      NZDCHF -48 pips
      NDZCAD -63 pips
      AUDCAD -33 pips
      USDCAD -18 pips
      EURUSD -13 pips
      GBPUSD -23 pips
      AUDUSD -19 pips buy limit

Broker: Oanda

12/20 10:30PM EST / 3:30AM GMT / LOW VOLATILIY
      USDCAD -20
      AUDJPY -18
      CHFJPY -32
      GBPUSD -19
      NZDJPY -24
      EURUSD -14

12/21 8:30AM EST / 1:30PM GMT / LONDON-NEW YORK SESSION
      USDCAD -15 pips
      AUDJPY -15 pips
      CHFJPY -21 pips
      GBPUSD -20 pips
      NZDJPY -28 pips
      EURUSD -12 pips
      Last edited by Jeremy10; 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Are you sure your spread is really just 4 pips? Because what you are describing is a lot of slippage. I don't think it's normal.

Comment

Originally posted by mlawson71 View Post
          Are you sure your spread is really just 4 pips? Because what you are describing is a lot of slippage. I don't think it's normal.
          Yes that's usually around the average, the highest could be 7 pips on a pair like GBPNZD. Right now the spread on GBPUSD is 2 pips yet as soon as I open a trade im at -20. Maybe it's something to do with the demo account.

Comment

Nevermind... I was reading the 'points' in MT4 as 'pips'. So 1 PIP = 10 points...
            Last edited by Jeremy10; 12-21-2017, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Whoops!!!.............

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy10 View Post
                Nevermind... I was reading the 'points' in MT4 as 'pips'. So 1 PIP = 10 points...
                Ohhh, that makes a lot more sense. Well, I am glad it's all cleared up now.

Comment

actually I can't answer your question. I only took knowledge from this discussion. thank you

Comment

In fact, any such technical issues are always not very good, because it tells you that the terminal slows down and doesn't let you work with full dynamics, so of course it's worth checking what's wrong with the terminal or the problem may be your internet or browser if you don't update it at least periodically.

Comment

Working...
                    X