Broker/VPS Comparison and Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broker/VPS Comparison and Discussion

I've started this thread so that we have a place to post our results and compare the different broker and VPS combinations. The main thread was getting a bit out of hand and it was becoming hard to find information of relevance about the trader or strategy.
    Would you like free lifetime access to our forex trading room?

Open an account at Blueberry Markets and save the $97/monthly fee.

Click here to find out more.

Great idea Nick!

I’m gonna start with today’s comparison:

Viper (GBPUSD):
    2.5 + 2.7 + 4.3 + 5.4 + 4.0 + 2.9 + 1.4 = 23.2 pips.
    Nick 2X (GBPUSD) ICM + STVPS:
    + 0.6 + 4.7 + 3.0 + 3.0 + 1.1 + 0.7 - 4.0 = 9.1 pips (bad bad).
    Nick 10X (GBPUSD) ICM + STVPS:
    + 2.4 + 5.8 + 3.9 + 4.7 + 3.1 + 2.1 + 0.7 = 26.3 pips (very well).
    Me (GBPUSD) GP + STVPS:
    + 1.2 + 5.4 + 3.2 + 4.7 + 1.2 + 1.1 - 2.6 = 14.2 pips (so so).

I’m concerned regarding Nick’s 10x account (that is trading with bigger lots), that ALMOST ALWAYS gets a lot better execution than the other; considering that both are IC Markets + STVPS. Is it receiving some kind of special treatment of the broker or what could be happening?... Nick, could you please ask ICM and tell us the reason of the IMPORTANT difference between your 2 accounts?

Cheers!
    Vic
    Last edited by VictorTous; 11-22-2013, 12:17 AM. Reason: Little details...

Comment

My results on the last 7 GU trades, on Thinkforex using direct connect.
      -0.4 +4.4 +2.0 +2.7 -0.2 +0.2 -2.1
      So, a total of +6.6 pips :/
      At least it's positive...
      Last edited by rippa; 11-22-2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Trades for Nov. 21, 2013 on ICMarkets ECN:
        0.5, 5.1, 0.6, -1.8, -0.4
        Total: 4 pips before commission = 1.25 pips after commission. (Very bad!)

Official account got 23.2 / Nick 10x account on ICM got 26.3 / So huge difference on my ICM ECN account!

CNS VPS / SimpleTrader Slippage set to: 1
        Last edited by pipsalot; 11-25-2013, 06:40 AM.

Comment

If you guys are going to do a proper comparison you should state what your slippage is set to as well guys. I can't be bothered looking at mine for last night as there were so many, but I have running over multiple accounts with multiple brokers. Generally they were all bad yesterday, especially IC Markets.

Comment

This is interesting and thanks to Nick for setting up this thread.

I suffered such bad slippage last week on FXCM that I had to block the signal. I'm now looking for another Broker/VPS combination. However, there are many factors to consider, such as:

Do you use one of Nick's VIP brokers? If yes, the you save at least $99 a month subs, but you may lose more through poorer performance. Alpari UK may be one of those that, whilst 'free', offers worse results over time than paid for brokers.

What do you set slippage to? As BRM points out, comparisons are pointless without this, and it is one of the reasons why the LFT analytics package is a little limited.

How do you factor in changing Broker performance? People can be very dismissive of execution concerns when their own Broker is performing well, only to find that before long, they suffer the same issues that plagued others.

What VPS do you use? Simple Trader seems to win here, but other may disagree.

Why are subs not getting better execution than the master? This may sound a ridiculous comment in the light of all the slippage around, but Viper was convinced in the early stages of the signal that subs would actually do better than him.

Is a 30% fee for a Managed Account a more viable way of following Viper? Given the 'downstream' issues that currently affect this signal, 30% does not seem like a bad deal, and once commissions, slippage and signal costs are factored in, may actually provide some users with a discount.

All up for discussion, and none of it intended to be critical of either Viper, Nick or anyone else. Without the latter two guys, we wouldn't have a profitable signal to work on, so let's not forget that. Equally, as some wise person pointed out on another forum, we as subs would be failing in our own due diligence if we didn't work out how to maximize our own returns.

Comment

Does anyone use the Alpari UK/Alpari VPS set up to follow Viper? Dino at Alpari has just suggested that as a possibility to me.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerM View Post
                Does anyone use the Alpari UK/Alpari VPS set up to follow Viper? Dino at Alpari has just suggested that as a possibility to me.
                I use Alpari UK Pro with DC, but I'm planning to try with STVPS as well. The spread is better then Classic account, but there is a commission too. 6 USD per 1 lot for USDJPY. Unfortunately this is not flat for other currencies. e.g for GBPUSD the commission is 6 GBP. So the commission is always in the primary currency. 6 EUR for EURUSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Broker/VPS Comparison and Discussion

Alpari VPS: If you trade at least volume 10 a month, the VPS service is free of charge for you.

What does 10 volume mean? 10 lot?
                  Last edited by Zoli71; 11-22-2013, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Köszönöm szépen, Zoli. I wonder how the Alpari Pro will work with the Alpari VPS specifically for Viper. I'd use Alpari SpreadBet for my other signals.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoli71 View Post
                      Alpari VPS: If you trade at least volume 10 a month, the VPS service is free of charge for you.

What does 10 volume mean? 10 lot?
                      Yes, 10 lots.

Comment

I Appriciate the last two trades where far longer than the 3-5 seconds that copier version 1.9 is meant to address, but i still think its good to keep a stat moving forward on v1.9

i can report the last two trades turned out as follows.(ic markets ECN - STVPS)

EUR/USD Sell - open - 1.35317 - closed - 135302 +1.5
                        EUR/USD Buy - open - 1.35172 - closed - 135211 +3.9

Many thanks Viper!!!
                        http://www.myfxbook.com/members/dupapa

Comment

Dupapa -I have the 1.9 EA from Will as well which is up and running I had +1.7 and +3.7 on the last 2 trades........

i do enjoy all this pip analysis nonsense...brings out the geek in me...

Keep it up Mr V!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lennylongroach View Post
                            Dupapa -I have the 1.9 EA from Will as well which is up and running I had +1.7 and +3.7 on the last 2 trades........

i do enjoy all this pip analysis nonsense...brings out the geek in me...

Keep it up Mr V!!
                            Please always refer to your broker and VPS and slippage set on the settings page....

Comment

Alpari UK Pro with DC, slippage set to 1 (not default 3)

EUR/USD Sell - open - 1.35315 - closed - 1.35293 +2.2 -> lot size: 0.62 - net. profit: $13.64 (including -5.03 commission)
                              EUR/USD Buy - open - 1.35173 - closed - 1.35210 +3.7 -> lot size: 0.57 - net. profit: $21.09 (including -4.62 commission)

Comment

Working...
                              X