Good VPS for Martingale Robot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good VPS for Martingale Robot?

I know what you're thinking... Stay away from martingale Neptune! This is a fun experiment for me and I'm fully aware my robot has the potential to blow the entire $1,000 I put in as I have no drawdown protection feature coded. I will be withdrawing often (possibly weekly) from this account.

First of all I've only put $1,000 into this martingale robot that I've coded in cAlgo (already know how to code but looked at other robots to learn how to use the cAlgo API). Based on 100's (I sat there for hours) of M1 backtests of EURUSD (I know they aren't 100% accurate since it assumes no slippage) the robot was making between $150 to $300 per week (tested across multiple weeks) with an initial deposit of $1,000. It opens a lot size of 0.01 with a stop loss and take profit set to 10 and -10 pips. If it wins the trade it opens a random buy or sell and if it losses the trade it opens the same direction with double the lot size making back what it loss plus a little extra however if it losses more than 3 trades in a row due to ICMarkets commission fees it breaks even after the 4th plus win or losses a couple of dollars.

AxiTrader gave me a free VPS with Commercial Network Services that I'm using to follow Viper so I've got cAlgo on that VPS and MT4 running at the same time. The VPS has the following specs:
    Trader's VPS Value Edition - $35.12 USD Per Month
    Number of Snapshots: 1
    CPU Cores: 2
    RAM (MB): 896
    DISK (GB): 20

Am I overloading this VPS running Viper on MT4 and this robot on cAlgo at the same time? I don't feel these robots and copiers are going to really interfere with eachother with the robot opening 1-2 trades an hour (more at news time) and viper opening 3+ per night since overall these aren't what you call "heavy load" and the vps seems slow to operate but has ultra fast internet. Would Nicks Basic VPS be better? It has 1 core as opposed to 2 but has more ram than Commercial Network Services. Will it really make a difference? Sometimes ultra fast moving news made the trades close at 12 pips instead of 10 but is this the fault of the VPS or just a general thing that happens in forex robot or no robot?

The reason I ask is because I set the robot up on a demo account with ICMarkets (I like Axitrader better but ICMarkets have lower spreads and commission which is critical for this robot. I ran it (all times in GMT+10 on EURUSD on a demo account for 2 days and it made $70 on my $1,000. Everything went well as it opened the stop loss and take profit of every trade. Then starting 6pm Wednesday night I started it on a real account with ICMarkets with $2000 ($1000 is my mums share as she wants to make money with this robot) with lot sizes of 0.02 and it was going fantastic just like the demo.

At 4am Thursday morning I ran into my first "What's going on" moment. It had made $31 in 10 hours however when it opened a 0.02 sell for some reason it put in the usual take profit but forgot to put in a stop loss. EURUSD had moved up heaps so unfortunately I had to stop the robot and close the trade at a negative $28 however I'm still $2 ahead from when I started so no actual loss of capital for me... But was it the fault of the VPS that made cAlgo forgot to put in the stop loss?

Either way I needed to make sure this would never be a problem again so I've modified my robot again and coded cAlgo to check if any trade is positive 10 pips or negative 10 pips every tick and if it is close the trade. This means if an incident like this occurs again where there is no stop loss or take profit cAlgo will close the trade anyway as if the stoploss or take profit was there. I'm also thinking of adding a 1 minute delay between closing and opening trades to prevent the robot blowing the account (having more than 8 losing trades in a row) due to the market rapidly moving down more than 80 pips without it retracing 10 pips first. It rapidly moved 60 pips last night which really freaked me out and is the exact point the robot forgot to put in the stop loss on it's new trade. A 1 minute delay between trades would prevent it opening say 100 trades suddenly and blowing the account during something like the USDCHF event on the 15th of january this year. I see it as a news time safely feature but won't add that feature unless my current account gets blown.

Anyway any advice about the VPS, slippage and why a stop loss wasn't opened on that trade?

Originally posted by Neptune View Post
    I know what you're thinking... Stay away from martingale Neptune! This is a fun experiment for me and I'm fully aware my robot has the potential to blow the entire $1,000 I put in as I have no drawdown protection feature coded. I will be withdrawing often (possibly weekly) from this account.

First of all I've only put $1,000 into this martingale robot that I've coded in cAlgo (already know how to code but looked at other robots to learn how to use the cAlgo API). Based on 100's (I sat there for hours) of M1 backtests of EURUSD (I know they aren't 100% accurate since it assumes no slippage) the robot was making between $150 to $300 per week (tested across multiple weeks) with an initial deposit of $1,000. It opens a lot size of 0.01 with a stop loss and take profit set to 10 and -10 pips. If it wins the trade it opens a random buy or sell and if it losses the trade it opens the same direction with double the lot size making back what it loss plus a little extra however if it losses more than 3 trades in a row due to ICMarkets commission fees it breaks even after the 4th plus win or losses a couple of dollars.

AxiTrader gave me a free VPS with Commercial Network Services that I'm using to follow Viper so I've got cAlgo on that VPS and MT4 running at the same time. The VPS has the following specs:
    Trader's VPS Value Edition - $35.12 USD Per Month
    Number of Snapshots: 1
    CPU Cores: 2
    RAM (MB): 896
    DISK (GB): 20

Am I overloading this VPS running Viper on MT4 and this robot on cAlgo at the same time? I don't feel these robots and copiers are going to really interfere with eachother with the robot opening 1-2 trades an hour (more at news time) and viper opening 3+ per night since overall these aren't what you call "heavy load" and the vps seems slow to operate but has ultra fast internet. Would Nicks Basic VPS be better? It has 1 core as opposed to 2 but has more ram than Commercial Network Services. Will it really make a difference? Sometimes ultra fast moving news made the trades close at 12 pips instead of 10 but is this the fault of the VPS or just a general thing that happens in forex robot or no robot?

The reason I ask is because I set the robot up on a demo account with ICMarkets (I like Axitrader better but ICMarkets have lower spreads and commission which is critical for this robot. I ran it (all times in GMT+10 on EURUSD on a demo account for 2 days and it made $70 on my $1,000. Everything went well as it opened the stop loss and take profit of every trade. Then starting 6pm Wednesday night I started it on a real account with ICMarkets with $2000 ($1000 is my mums share as she wants to make money with this robot) with lot sizes of 0.02 and it was going fantastic just like the demo.

At 4am Thursday morning I ran into my first "What's going on" moment. It had made $31 in 10 hours however when it opened a 0.02 sell for some reason it put in the usual take profit but forgot to put in a stop loss. EURUSD had moved up heaps so unfortunately I had to stop the robot and close the trade at a negative $28 however I'm still $2 ahead from when I started so no actual loss of capital for me... But was it the fault of the VPS that made cAlgo forgot to put in the stop loss?

Either way I needed to make sure this would never be a problem again so I've modified my robot again and coded cAlgo to check if any trade is positive 10 pips or negative 10 pips every tick and if it is close the trade. This means if an incident like this occurs again where there is no stop loss or take profit cAlgo will close the trade anyway as if the stoploss or take profit was there. I'm also thinking of adding a 1 minute delay between closing and opening trades to prevent the robot blowing the account (having more than 8 losing trades in a row) due to the market rapidly moving down more than 80 pips without it retracing 10 pips first. It rapidly moved 60 pips last night which really freaked me out and is the exact point the robot forgot to put in the stop loss on it's new trade. A 1 minute delay between trades would prevent it opening say 100 trades suddenly and blowing the account during something like the USDCHF event on the 15th of january this year. I see it as a news time safely feature but won't add that feature unless my current account gets blown.

Anyway any advice about the VPS, slippage and why a stop loss wasn't opened on that trade?
    Hi Neptune,

Your first line says it all

Considering the amount of volume you're trading, AxiTrader will give you a second VPS if you ask (ForexVPS.net this time please!). That would be the safe way to play it.

You'll probably be fine, but it's not worth taking the risk. Calgo is a thirsty on resources and the last thing you want is for it to overload and crash putting your main Viper account in jeopardy.

Just one note on the martingale robot - It's a fun robot to build/run for people getting used to the process of building a system. But in my experience it won't be profitable long term even if you pull your money out regularly. Having said that, go nuts. The best lessons learned are from mistakes, and if it only costs you $1k then it's probably worth it. Just make sure you don't put more money in if/when you double your account, because you think you've "cracked the code". You haven't, you just got lucky, do it for 1-2 years consistently and only then you'll have something worthy of throwing more money into.
    Click here to check out the most popular forex channel on YouTube

Comment

Would AXI give me another one though since I'm trading with ICMarkets, could I ask them (I saw an option to register on your VPS site where you put through a form or something.) the robot makes around 2000 trades per month (starting with lot sizes of 0.02) so is it likely ICMarkets will go "Yep, you qualify for a VPS"?

As for the martingale experiment I don't plan to have more than $1,000 of my capital at risk. If I want more than that it's going to have to grow itself through my management of moving the money between my low risk and high risk martingale accounts (High risk lot sizes start 10x higher so a $1000 account on high risk would make an average of $1,500 per week (if it survives that long).
      Last edited by Neptune; 06-18-2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

IC Markets requirement for free VPS is 100 round turn lots per month.

Comment

Ok Nick, you warned me and I warned myself... This isn't going to work.

I re-enabled the robot at 7am then by 7pm was happy to know the robot had made $33 for us so the balance was $2033.70. I then discovered that cAlgo allows you to backtest on tick charts so I backtested my robot on the first week of may this year.... Blown on may 8th after just 3 days of running... Then I try it out again on the tick chart for june 1st to now... blown just a few hours after opening due to rapid moving news time. I then think of all those useless misleading M1 backtests and stop dead in my tracks, this robot isn't going to work. I then log into my VPS and disable the robot then close the open trade at a $1 loss.

I learned my lesson, only backtest on tickcharts and martingales really don't work. Thank god I found out what I did when I did. I learned my lesson with a $32 (well $16 because half of that was my mums) profit. It was pure luck I walked away with a profit. An 80 pip movement without a 10 pip retracement actually is a common occurrence during news time. I'm just glad I learned my lesson through tick back tests and walked away with a profit rather than a blown account.

Comment

If you got your mum invested do yourselves a favour by putting it on one of the professinals here

An even then it's not a given but by doing so you then in my opinion given yourself the best chance for profit

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

For backtesting or backup VPS my suggestion would be to get a dedicated server from soyoustart Canada. They're end of life CPUs, but adequate for basic requirements. You can run a dedicated operating system or setup your own VPS server.

If you want to use real money on martingales then use cent accounts.

Comment

I am just thinking on robots trading, i can see that people say it is unbeneficial. I am just wondering if someone has tested 1k daily profit and can share a real estimation, cause they promise quite unreal winning rates of near 99% (so 1k daily profit review here), that is what i never do as a trader. the very problem and my doubt is about the broker. well i see it is a blackbox system so I cannot choose a broker for me... so what if I get smth weird or an unregulated scammer? i am not sure that i get my money paid out in case i want it. what do you say?

Comment

I have found some information about this software at ​1K Daily Profit Review

Comment

Working...
                  X